Where Can You Study Abroad in 2021-2022?
- Though many countries are open for travel, study abroad remains mostly on hold.
- Despite being open to travel, many countries are still impacted by COVID-19.
- Some study abroad programs plan to operate in fall and spring.
As the fall approaches and the pandemic's impacts significantly lessen, you may be thinking about traveling abroad soon. Though at least 75 countries are currently open to U.S. travelers, many study abroad programs remain closed or uncertain for the upcoming semesters.
But study abroad opportunities are still out there. For students hoping to experience the once in a lifetime chance of studying abroad this fall or next spring, programs in countries all over the world are open and accepting applications.
www.bestcolleges.com is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Ready to start your journey?
For students hoping to experience the once in a lifetime chance of studying abroad this fall or next spring, programs in countries all over the world are open and accepting applications.
Many of these countries still have restrictions in place to keep their citizens and outside travelers safe. But travel is still welcome and even encouraged in some countries that are hoping to bring back a sense of normalcy.
Below is a guide to some of the locations accepting U.S. travelers. Countries are listed in order of the most popular destinations for Americans studying abroad during the 2018-19 academic year.
Note: China, Japan, and Australia are also among the most popular destinations for study abroad, but did not make this list due to current travel bans. Study abroad programs in these countries are suspended for the time being.
The United Kingdom
Leisure travel to the U.K. is open and available to U.S. citizens. However, officials currently advise against it, and there are restrictions in place should you choose one of its cities as your destination.
Restrictions will also differ depending on whether you intend to visit England, Scotland, Wales, or Northern Ireland, so be sure to determine exactly where it is you want to go as you weigh the pros and cons of traveling during this time.
- CIEE Arts and Sciences at University College London, Spring 2022
- IES Abroad Direct Enrollment at University College London, Spring 2022
- CIEE Arts and Humanities at Goldsmiths, University of London, Spring 2022
- IES Abroad Health Practice and Policy at University of London, Spring 2022
- ISA Business, Media Studies, Psychology, and Liberal Arts at the University of Westminster in London, Spring 2022
- ISA Business, STEM, Social Sciences, and Liberal Arts at the University of Glasgow in Scotland, Spring 2022
Though there are testing and quarantine requirements in place, U.S. students hoping to visit Italy are welcome. As of June 2021, U.S. travelers with a "Green Pass" — a COVID document that complies with Italian and EU regulations — are able to enter Italy without having to quarantine upon arrival.
- IES Abroad Business Studies in Milan, Spring 2022
- IES Abroad Fashion Design and Merchandising in Milan, Spring 2022
- CEA Ethics and Sustainability in Rome, Spring 2022
- CEA Theology and Religion in Rome, Spring 2022
- CAPA Global Business Institute in Florence, Spring 2022
Spain is open to U.S. travelers without proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test. Health screening processes may be in place at airports, and travelers must interact with an online health portal. As of June 2021, the country still mandates that face masks be worn in enclosed public spaces, gatherings be limited, and interactions be distanced when possible.
- AIFS Study Abroad Spanish Language, Liberal Arts, and Business in Barcelona, Spring 2022
Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens will be granted entry to France with proof of vaccination and a sworn statement that they've presented no COVID-19 symptoms. Masks are still required in enclosed public spaces.
- USAC Study Abroad in Pau, Spring 2022
- CEA French Language Studies at the Sorbonne in Paris, Fall 2021, Spring 2022, full year 2021-22
- CIEE Business and Culture in Toulouse, Spring 2022
- CIEE Liberal Arts in Rennes, Spring 2022
- CIEE French and Critical Studies in Paris, Spring 2022
Restrictions for U.S. citizens traveling to Germany were lifted as of late June 2021. However, travelers must present proof of vaccination, a negative COVID-19 test result, or proof of recovery to enter the country.
- CIEE Global Architecture and Design in Berlin, Spring 2022
- IES Abroad Environmental Studies and Sustainability in Freiburg, Spring 2022
- USAC Abroad in Lüneburg, Spring 2022
- IES Abroad Language and Area Studies in Freiburg, Spring 2022
Travel to Ireland is currently open, though highly discouraged. Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens can travel to Ireland without any additional testing or quarantine requirements.
- CEA Liberal Arts and Irish Studies in Dublin, Spring 2022
- CEA Study Abroad at National University of Ireland in Galway, Spring 2022
- CEA International Business in Dublin, Spring 2022
- CEA Computer Science at Dublin City University, Spring 2022
Costa Rica, often favored among travelers for its rainforests, beaches, and wildlife, is open to U.S. citizens without testing or quarantine requirements. Still, visiting the country includes other entry requirements that potential travelers should familiarize themselves with beforehand.
Entry to Mexico is open and available to all U.S. citizens without testing or quarantine requirements. However, U.S. travelers entering by land through the border may be subject to health screenings.
- IFSA Mérida Universities Program in Mérida, Spring 2022
Greece is open to U.S. travelers without quarantine restrictions or testing for the fully vaccinated upon entry. Still, mask mandates are in place for enclosed public areas and there are restrictions against large gatherings.
The Czech Republic is open to U.S. citizens with testing and health screening requirements. Mask mandates are still in effect in all enclosed public spaces.
- CEA and AAU Hybrid Study and Internship Program in Prague, Spring 2022
- CEA and AAU Hybrid International Relations and Political Science in Prague, Spring 2022
- AAU Full Curriculum in Prague, Spring 2022
U.S. citizens are welcome to travel to South Africa in compliance with testing requirements. If unable to present negative test results, you will be required to quarantine. Travelers will also encounter health screenings upon arrival, curfews, and a mask requirement in public spaces.
- ISA Business, STEM, Social Sciences, and Liberal Arts at the University of Cape Town, Spring 2022
- ISA Sustainable Development, Environmental Studies, and Sport Science at Nelson Mandela University in Port Elizabeth, Spring 2022
Feature Image: Klaus Vedfelt / DigitalVision / Getty Images
Will Study Abroad Happen in 2021-2022?
The 12 Best Countries to Study Abroad
BestColleges.com is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Compare your school options.
View the most relevant school for your interests and compare them by tuition, programs, acceptance rate, and other factors important to find your college home.