Student Buying Guide: Entertainment

portrait of Staff Writers
by Staff Writers
Published on September 22, 2020

BestColleges.com is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.

Ready to start your journey?

College students are inundated with routine expenses. From tuition payments and course materials to monthly rent and utility bills, the costs associated with higher education can be quite significant, and not very flexible where leisure and entertainment are concerned. According to 2013 data from Marketing Charts, discretionary spending accounted for roughly 28% of college student expenditures in 2013. The remaining 72% went toward expenses for education and maintaining a residence.

Students able to create an effective budget plan and maintain a frugal lifestyle will be able to spend their money on meals, movies, concerts, nice clothing, and other non-essential purchases. Thankfully, many companies help mitigate these costs even further by providing discounts exclusively for enrolled college students. This article features a comprehensive list of restaurant chains, clothing retailers, and other companies with special offers geared toward students on a budget.

Important Note: Some of the deals and promotions listed on this page will only be available at participating business locations.

Tips for Saving on Entertainment

Before we begin, here are a few tips for all college students who would like to save money on non-essential purchases:

Food

College students spent roughly $42.1 billion on food in 2013, nearly double what they spent on clothing and entertainment. Although many students adhere to a strictly cost-effective diet of home-cooked meals, most young people relish the opportunity to enjoy a meal out with friends. Here are some of the nationwide restaurant chains that offer discounted dining options for college students.

Entertainment

Although course attendance and studying will constitute the bulk of a college student's regular schedule, many enjoy seeing movies, attending concerts, visiting museums, and engaging in other "entertaining" activities when they are away from campus. Here are a few entertainment companies and venues that award various discounts to enrolled college students.

Clothing and Retail

For college students on a budget, there is a notable difference between essential clothing items and fashionable garments and accessories. Nonetheless, the following reputed brands offer discounted rates on certain items at participating locations for students. Additionally, students would be smart to keep an eye out for semi-annual sales and shipping promotions for online purchases.

Subscriptions and Memberships

A number of magazines, online retailers, and other businesses offer memberships that include purchase deals, free shipping, and other perks. Some will sweeten the deal even further by discounting the member price for college students.

Services

In addition to the leisure and entertainment-oriented expenses listed above, the following companies provide automotive care, moving vehicle rentals, Internet access, and other useful services at a discounted rate for college students.

Students who wish to study abroad or travel in general can take advantage of student offers from booking agencies, carmakers, and auto insurance providers. Prospective students and their parents need manageable college savings plans. Learn more about your options when it comes to funding your education. Looking for the right college fit? Tapping into reliable sources like campus websites and direct contact with schools and students are key to your search.

BestColleges.com is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.

Compare your school options.

View the most relevant school for your interests and compare them by tuition, programs, acceptance rate, and other factors important to find your college home.