Best Accelerated Psychology Degree Online Programs of 2023
Whether you're interested in an undergraduate or graduate degree in psychology, the time it takes to earn your diploma is worth considering. If flexibility, affordability, and your graduation timeline are essential factors, an accelerated online psychology program might be a perfect fit.
Keep reading as we review various accelerated psychology programs and see what these programs can do for you.
BestColleges.com is an advertising-supported site. Featured or trusted partner programs and all school search, finder, or match results are for schools that compensate us. This compensation does not influence our school rankings, resource guides, or other editorially-independent information published on this site.
Ready to Start Your Journey?
In addition to vital considerations like cost, location, and specializations, a prospective program's offering of an accelerated path toward graduation can often seal the deal.
If you want to earn your online psychology degree as quickly as possible, an accelerated program might be right for you.
Types of Online Accelerated Psychology Degrees
As an online learner, you can access psychology degrees at all levels, including associate, bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs.
While an associate degree is inherently accelerated because of its two-year turnaround, enrolling in higher-level accelerated programs can earn you a diploma much faster than traditional academic pathways.
Online Degrees Starting Soon:
Featured Online Psychology Degrees
Accelerated Online Associate in Psychology Programs
An online associate degree in psychology can prepare you for various entry-level careers while providing you with the academic foundation to finish a bachelor's degree.
These programs take about two years to complete and cover general education classes and foundational psych classes. You might take courses like intro to psychology, developmental psychology, and human growth and development.
Featured Online Associate in Psychology Degrees
After completing your associate degree in psychology, you may qualify for entry-level positions in fields like social services and human resources. You could also start various administrative roles.
Many graduates often go on to complete an accelerated bachelor's in psychology that they can finish in as few as 18 months.
Accelerated Online Bachelor's in Psychology Programs
A bachelor's in psychology is one of the most popular undergraduate degrees, providing you a flexible pathway to learn foundational psych concepts.
Plus, these programs allow you to develop skills that you can use in many career paths. Standard coursework covers topics like developmental psychology, research methods, and abnormal psychology.
In addition to core classes, some of the best psychology programs offer academic specializations in areas like criminal psychology and clinical counseling. We spotlight common psychology specializations below:
- Addiction and Recovery: This specialization introduces the psychological foundations of and approaches to addiction research and treatment. In addition, students learn how to best support people in recovery.
- Clinical Counseling: A clinical counseling specialization prepares students for careers in counseling. It focuses on the assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of individuals and groups dealing with various mental health challenges.
- Criminal Psychology: This specialization covers topics such as forensic psychology and criminal behavior. It also examines the intersection of psychology and law in the criminal justice system.
- Crisis Counseling: Alongside foundational psychology concepts, this specialization teaches crisis intervention, trauma response, and how to support clients in times of distress.
- Life Coaching: This specialization offers training in various coaching techniques and how to help clients achieve personal and professional success.
- Military Resilience: This psychology specialization introduces the unique challenges facing military personnel and their families. Coursework also explores treatment options and how to promote mental health and wellness for active service members and veterans.
Featured Online Bachelor's in Psychology Degrees
After you earn your bachelor's in psychology, you'll be ready to tackle an extensive list of potential careers. While aspiring clinicians and counselors must continue on to earn a graduate degree, as an undergrad, you'll have research, writing, and critical thinking skills that many hiring managers seek out.
Accelerated Online Master's in Psychology Programs
While the time it takes to complete your online master's in psychology can vary, you can often complete these programs in 12-18 months.
Accelerated master's tracks typically require you to complete 30-40 credits and offer specializations in clinical, school, and forensic psychology. These programs can also offer a pathway to clinical certification.
Featured Online Master's in Psychology Degrees
Depending on your specialization, career options can vary. That said, a master's in psychology can prepare you to become a counselor, therapist, or researcher.
Graduates can work in schools, clinics, and government agencies.
Accelerated Online Psychology Ph.D. Programs
An accelerated online psychology Ph.D. program provides an efficient and flexible way to earn a doctoral degree. These programs are ideal for motivated people and often allow you to graduate in just a few years through virtual classes, resources, and independent research.
Often, you can tackle a variety of research specializations, including neuropsychology, sports psychology, and social psychology.
Featured Online Doctorate in Psychology Degrees
After graduating with a Ph.D. in psychology, you'll have access to many psychology career options, including roles as researchers, professors, and clinical psychologists. You'll also have the option to work in public and private settings.
As a result, your area of specialization will often mirror your academic objectives and career goals.
What Can You Do With a Degree in Psychology?
Your career options with a degree in psychology can vary depending on the specific degree you completed. Psychology graduates can pursue positions in mental health, social services, counseling, and academic research.
Additional education like master's and doctoral degrees are often needed for specialized roles and for certification as a licensed psychologist or counselor.
|Job||Median Annual Salary (May 2021)|
|Marriage and Family Therapists||$49,880|
|Mental Health Counselor||$48,520|
|School and Career Counselor||$60,510|
Why Should You Get an Accelerated Psychology Degree Online?
Pros of Getting an Accelerated Psychology Degree
- Time: Accelerated programs allow you to complete academic requirements faster than traditional programs. This can save you time and allow you to begin your career more quickly.
- Flexibility: Like other online programs, many accelerated psychology degrees provide courses that you can complete on your own time and at your own pace.
- Career Advancement: Whether you're seeking clinical licensure or a set of marketable skills, an accelerated psychology degree can enhance your competitiveness and earning potential.
Cons of Getting an Accelerated Psychology Degree
- Intensive Workload: An accelerated psychology degree can get you into the workforce sooner, but the heavier course load can feel overwhelming. This can be especially true if you're balancing personal and professional responsibilities.
- Lack of In-Person Requirements: Some students thrive in a traditional academic environment. If that sounds like you, maybe seek out in-person opportunities.
- Fewer Specializations: While programs can vary, accelerated online programs sometimes offer limited options for specializations. Be sure to consider schools that align with your research interests.
Featured Online Psychology Degrees
Frequently Asked Questions About Getting an Accelerated Psychology Degree
How long does it take to get an accelerated degree in psychology?
The time it takes to complete your accelerated degree in psychology can vary widely depending on the type of degree, specialization, and program-specific requirements. An associate degree in psychology takes about two years to complete, while an accelerated Ph.D. can take as few as three years.
How much does an accelerated psychology degree cost?
The school, program, and location you choose can impact the cost of your accelerated psychology degree. Some online programs offer discounted rates to in-state students, while others charge the same tuition rates for all online learners. In addition, private schools tend to cost more than their public counterparts.
Can you get your psychology degree completely online?
Yes, you can absolutely complete psychology programs entirely online. Many standout colleges and universities offer 100% online programs at various levels, including bachelor's through doctoral programs. The best online psychology programs offer flexible and affordable pathways via online platforms that use recorded lectures, interactive group work, and self-guided coursework.