Best Colleges in Alabama
Whether you're just beginning your undergraduate studies or pursuing a graduate degree, Alabama is home to an assortment of public and private colleges -- including some of the country's top schools. From small Christian colleges to large state universities, Alabama offers plenty of higher education options. While finding the right school can be a challenge, this ranking highlights some of the top colleges in the state to help you begin your research.
The list below offers general information on some of the state's best colleges, including location, enrollment figures, and distance education options. Each description attempts to provide an overall sense of a school, including notable academic programs and any distinguishing factors.
Top 10 Colleges in Alabama
- The University of Alabama - Tuscaloosa, AL
- University of Alabama in Huntsville - Huntsville, AL
- Auburn University - Auburn, AL
- Athens State University - Athens, AL
- University of Montevallo - Montevallo, AL
- University of South Alabama - Mobile, AL
- University of Alabama at Birmingham - Birmingham, AL
- Jacksonville State University - Jacksonville, AL
- Samford University - Birmingham, AL
- University of North Alabama - Florence, AL
Featured Online Programs
Alabama boasts strong employment prospects for college graduates, with an unemployment rate of 2.8% as of October 2019 -- a figure that ranks below the national average. The overall cost of living in Alabama also ranks substantially below the national average, particularly with regard to the median cost of a home. Many highly profitable industries drive the state's economy, including those related to aerospace and aviation, chemical manufacturing, forestry, and agricultural production.