Best Colleges in South Carolina
According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the undergraduate student population in the U.S. is projected to grow from 16.8 million in 2017 to 17.2 million in 2028. College attendance continues to increase as more students seek to take advantage of the opportunities afforded by postsecondary credentials. However, the sheer variety of degree options may feel overwhelming as you look for a school that aligns with your academic interests and career goals. This guide assists your search by detailing the 25 best colleges in South Carolina. Our assessment considers factors like financial aid availability, tuition rates, and retention and graduation rates.
The following rankings also provide information on each school's program offerings, distance education platform (if available), and student resources. You can also learn about general admission requirements. If a college grabs your interest, contact the relevant admissions specialists directly to get more help with the enrollment process.
Top 10 Colleges in South Carolina
- Clemson University - Clemson, SC
- Columbia International University - Columbia, SC
- The Citadel - Charleston, SC
- North Greenville University - Tigerville, SC
- Furman University - Greenville, SC
- University of South Carolina - Columbia, SC
- Southern Wesleyan University - Central, SC
- University of South Carolina - Aiken, SC
- Wofford College - Spartanburg, SC
- University of South Carolina - Spartanburg, SC
Featured Online Programs
By attending a South Carolina university, you stand to benefit from the state's robust economy. Ample career opportunities exist in major industries like advanced manufacturing, agribusiness, and healthcare. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that, as of October 2019, South Carolina's unemployment rate sits at 2.6% -- well below the national average. Furthermore, South Carolina boasts a relatively low cost of living. Even in a large city like Columbia, living expenses fall 3% below the U.S. standard.